Well, the term “love handles” is a cheeky spin on the most stubborn fat zone in the body. Nobody loves the stubborn fat section on the front and sides of their belly. After all, this is the first place where guys gain fat and it is the last place where the last shred of fat disappears from your body, if it does. Sometimes, these little pockets of fat just refuse to disappear even after spending hours on the abs station as well as the elliptical.
If you have been wondering what you can do to overhaul your physique and How to Lose Your Love Handles, read on.
It is true that you need to make changes to your fitness regimen as well as your lifestyle habits but nutrition is the key to getting rid of fat on your sides and on your back.
Here is a list of some of the most effective lifestyle, health and nutrition guidelines to help you start losing that stubborn fat. These guidelines are not some get ripped quick gimmick but these are tried and tested rules that will keep you fit for life.
How to Lose Your Love Handles- Nutrition Guidelines
- Keep the Carbs: If you want to burn fat, you need to have stimulated metabolism and when you cut pre and post-workout carbs from your diet, you slow down your metabolism. You do not want that. Therefore, you need to include healthy complex carbs including oats, black rice as well as sweet potatoes among other things in your diet to provide long lasting energy to your body.If you cut the complex carbs, your body will move into starvation mode as it will feel deprived of energy, and it will not burn fat in starvation mode.
- Use Stevia: One of the most common misconceptions is that artificial sweeteners alone can cut down your calorie intake. It is true that artificial sweeteners do not have any calories but these sweeteners are effective at forcing your body to gain and hold on to the fat. Artificial sweeteners have proven to stimulate appetite, increase the fat storage in your body and increase carb cravings which means you need to get rid of artificial sweeteners.
- Healthy Fats: There are healthy and unhealthy fats. If you want to lose unhealthy fat, you need to include healthy fats in your diet even though it may seem counterintuitive. So, you should include seeds, nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, fatty fish and avocados in your diet for decreasing fat in the abdominal part of your body.
- Go Organic: If you want to accelerate abdominal fat loss, do not mind spending that extra buck at the grocery store. Research studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid help in promoting abdominal fat loss. The organic milk and meat are 50% richer in omega-3 fatty acids whereas whole organic cage free eggs as well as grass fed beef are full of conjugated linoleic acid. So, start eating organic.
- Strategic Eating: There are specific times when anything you eat is used by the body for its energy requirements instead of storing it as fact. So, you should eat complex carbohydrates before and after working out. Ideally, you should eat 5 to 6 small meals a day to keep those hunger pangs away.
- Cut down on Alcohol: Alcohol is full of calories and you do not want that. In fact, cutting alcohol alone can make a big difference when it comes to abdominal fat. So, try to cut down on alcohol consumption as much as you can.
- Minimum Caffeine: If you are fond of drinking a lot of coffee throughout the day, you are adding a lot of calories to your diet without even realizing. Do not forget that all the added milk and sweeteners really add up.So, try to limit your coffee intake or go black. Try drinking your coffee without any milk or added sweeteners. You may also use vanilla to add flavor. You also have the option of unsweetened or caffeine free coffee, or you may try switching to green tea as it is good for your health.
- Get Rid of the Protein Bars: Protein bars have protein but they have a lot more sugar. You do not want additional sugar in your diet and therefore, try making your own protein bars, bites and balls if you cannot live without them.
Best Food Sources for Abdominal Fat Loss
- Protein: shrimp, tuna, salmon, lean cuts of steak, tofu, whey protein powder, hemp protein, ground turkey, eggs, chicken, all natural chicken sausage.
- Complex Carbs: wild rice, whole grain pasta, oats, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potato.
- Healthy Fat: coconut oil, nut butters, olives, hummus, pickles, cashews, almonds, avocado.
How to Lose Your Love Handles-Healthy Lifestyle
Sleep Like a Baby: If you do not get a good night’s sleep every day, you can kiss your dream of losing your love handles goodbye. Sleep is necessary for you as it allows your body to get everything in order. When you are not sleeping right, your body gets out of whack which might impede your weight loss plans.
A sleep deprived body slows down metabolism for conservation of energy and your appetite also goes up due to higher levels of cortisol in your body. In this stressed state, your body craves serotonin that can help calm you down and the best way for your body to get it is to crave foods with high carbs and fat content. Therefore, try to sleep for at least 7 to 8 hours each night.
Fast Metabolism Diet: The best way to activate your digestive system in the morning is to drink juice of ½ fresh lemon in 16 ounces of water, before eating anything. It will make your metabolism fly and give you a good start.
How to Lose Your Love Handles- Exercise Guide
One common misconception is that too many side bends and crunches can help you get rid of love handles but as said above, it is a misconception. It is known as spot training and it does sound nice but that is not how the human body works.
So, if you want to get rid of fat in some of the most stubborn areas in your body such as your back, you need to do a combination of total body strength training, HIIT cardio as well as a long, distance and slow session on occasion.
- Gain Lean Muscle: You want to gain lean muscle mass in order to jump-start your metabolism which can help you in burning fat while you are resting. Some good exercises to gain lean muscle mass include compound lifts such as hang cleans, dead lifts, thrusters and squats. Barbell front squats and weighted plank can help you strengthen your whole body as well as develop that strong core.
- Burn Calories: To burn calories fast, you need to include HIIT style training in your schedule. Sprints on a bike or a track will help you enhance calorie burn even after your workout session for a period of 24 to 48 hours. HIIT cardio workouts help in increasing your heart rate as well as metabolism that create an after-burn effect.
- Cardio for Burning Fat: Sometimes, shock is necessary to get your body out of the rut. So, try switching up your cardio sessions once or twice a week to include a 45 minute cardio session in your workout schedule. This type of cardio training helps your body use the stored fat for energy during your workout sessions.
Final Thought About Love Handles
Trying too hard with your diet and exercise is not going to get you far if you want to lose your love handles. If you try too hard, it might lead to overproduction of cortisol (the stress hormone), and your body might think that it is better to hold onto the existing fat. In simple terms, recovery is important and you should not be too hard on dieting as well as on exercising.